Monday, October 24, 2011

After a month of running

Been working some jogging into the exercise program. Started off by doing 8 minute intervals, seven minutes of walking followed by 1 minute of jogging. The next workout I would reduce walking to six minutes followed by 1 minute of jogging. Eventually got it down to two minutes walking to 1 minute jogging. I'm reaching my HR max at about the same 1 minute of jogging, but am able to recover to normal HR much quicker.

Weight loss has slowed down considerably. Still losing 1/2 pound to a pound a week, but nothing like the rapid weight loss that I was seeing during the early weeks. In my last post, I said I would be thrilled with a 12 minute per mile pace when I run my 5k. Well in my last test run of the 5k course, I managed an 11:35 pace, now I'm setting my sites on a sub 11 minute pace. During my 11:35 per mile 5k my heart rate averaged 150 and maxed at 163 compared to my first jog/run workout which peaked at 167 or 95%.

Yesterday, had my most intense training day. Rode my bike on the Western Reserve Greenway to meet up with a new running partner Jim. Ten miles out followed by a six mile run, followed by a ten mile ride back home. I was totally exhausted when I got home and ate and drank continuously from the time I got home around 3:30 till I went to bed.

Woke up this morning for the weekly weigh in and dropped almost 3 pounds for the week. I was hoping to lose 3 pounds a week so that by the end of first 13 weeks of the diet and exercise I would be down to 172 which would be normal weight by most BMI charts. Total of 12 weeks have gone by and I've dropped 27 pounds. Although a little short of my goal, I'm happy with the overall progress.

Day off of training today, followed by two final training days before resting up for the first 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment