Monday, September 12, 2011

Slow Steady Progress

Cut my training down a little this week, but still reached targets for zone 1 and 2. Zone 1 is the optimal fat burning zone of heart rate between 98 and 113. This zone is 60-70% of maximum heart rate. Maximum heart rate is your age subtracted from 220. In this zone you burn primarily fat. Zone 2 (70-80% max) is more intense and still burns a lot of calories, but your brain is telling your body that it needs energy FAST, so it draws from glucose reserves. Above 80% your energy actually comes from breaking down muscle tissue.

Finally broke through the 190 pound barrier weighing in this morning at 189.6, 22 down with 17 more pounds to go till I start my training for the Rite Aid Half Marathon in Cleveland next May. I just can't imagine how I managed to gain over 90 pounds since high school. I have no delusions of getting back to high school weight but 150 is a reasonable target.

Starting a recovery week with now walking, hopefully the diet part of the program will still be effective on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment