Monday, August 15, 2011

Dr. Bhakta

Met with Dr. Bhakta today and got great news. He reviewed the transcript from the catheterization and the previous stress test. I've been walking 3-4 miles per day for more than a week now and sticking to the diet. Dropped the weight from 211 to 200 and feeling great.

Along with my test results, I gave the doctor a copy of my spreadsheet of my workout log. Since the stress test showed plenty of blood getting to all areas of the heart he felt it was perfectly fine for me to resume playing baseball He said that playing ball was less stress than the walking I've been doing. I was so happy to get that news, I forgot about asking him if it was OK to do the horizontal mamba again.

Dr. Bhakta was very familiar with the Ornish diet and thought my course of action was a good one. He also said that bypass surgery did very little to reduce the risk of dying from a heart attack. He told me of a recent study where half the patients received bypass and the other half were treated with drugs. Incidents of heart attacks were nearly identical in the two groups.

An echo-cardiogram was ordered and it was agreed we would review progress after 90 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment